This article provides a detailed guide on securely accessing and preserving your documents online. Use advanced technology solutions for maximum ease of use and high security of sensitive data.
Choose your media carefully
There are many methods of storing data online, but not all are the same. Virtual data rooms are recommended for companies that value mobility and security in handling their documents above all else. Portable devices, hard drives, and public cloud servers are all either outdated, inappropriate, or not very reliable storage methods. Virtual data rooms are certified to the best international security standards and offer large amounts of storage that can be accessed by authorized users at any time, from any location. They are great for collaboration with partners and employees, transactions, and projects because all data will be contained in a centralized site with tightly controlled access by administrators. In addition, VDRs protect documents from external threats and internal leaks by offering multiple layers of protection.
With VDRs, you can manage versions of documents
Virtual data rooms greatly simplify document version control:
- Backup – Backups happen automatically on an ongoing basis. In addition, VDR solutions store your data on different physical servers. So, in case of a system failure, or a physical disaster like a flood or fire, you have a better chance of your data surviving
- Document Version Tracking – You can easily track when and by whom a document was last modified. You can also easily retrieve a previous version of a file. When a change occurs in one of the document copies, they are automatically synchronized with all existing copies. This means you can always provide up-to-date information to your partners and employees
Create the right names and folder structures
Structuring your data is very important for further work with them because the quality of this structure will depend on the speed of various business processes. For users to easily navigate your file structure, have quick access to files, and share, you should think about:
- Folder structure
Consider what files you are going to move into the VDR space and what folders you will need to do so. Don’t overthink it, but don’t think too flat, either. Make your folders easily scalable in case you need to expand because this way, you don’t have to rebuild your entire structure completely.
- File Naming
It’s best to name your files using elements. This can be the project name, subject, creation date, project number, group name, etc. Do not make the words too long – maximum 25 characters. It is better to avoid using special symbols and abbreviations. But if you can’t do without the latter, you should deputize for a journal in which their explanations would be written. This will come in handy for your employees and guest users.
Protect your data with VDRs
A virtual data room protects your files on several levels. Since companies have to share their data all the time, they must take care of access controls to ensure that no unauthorized user has access to it. VDR suggests:
- Permission control – prohibiting and allowing any interactions with documents
- Watermarks -protect against data leakage
- Double Authentication -secure login
- Data encryption -protects data during storage and transmission
- NDA -Non-disclosure agreements protect your data on a legal level
- Remote destruction -removes data from any device remotely
- Built-in antivirus -scans documents for viruses when downloaded
That’s not the whole list of data room features. If you want to find the best VDR providers, go to Datarooms.mx.